Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Boarman Family

The Boarman Branch, at least for this family tree, begins with Major William Boarman who settled in the Province of Maryland in 1645. He was originally from England. According to the book Genealogy of the Boarman Family, the name Boarman came from, well, the fact that, once upon a time, the members of this family were, well, boar hunters. No, seriously. They lived in Devonshire and Somersetshire Counties of England which, at one time, were overrun by boars. It appears my ancestors, soon to be named Boarman because, well, they hunted boars and were men, were expert boar hunters and rid these counties of the annoying boars. Oy!

The descent of the Boarman family, and their connection to mine, is as follows:

William Boarman - Mary Pile

Thomas James Boarman - Jane Edelen

Mary Boarman - Charles Boone

Walter Boone - Elizabeth Hagan-Mattingly

William Henry Boone - Rosena Hagan

Miles Nicholas Boone - Rosa Jane Duvall

Victor Ivo Boone - Mary Willie Watson

Mary Willie Boone - William Oscar Sweat (my grandparents)


Major William Boarman was a marrying kind of guy. Okay, it was just what men and women did back in the day: a spouse died, there were young children to be cared for, the survivor married again . . . and again as was the case with Major William Boarman. Third time's the charm . . . or so they say.

William Boarman married (first) Sarah Linle, and they had the following children . . .

Benjamin Boarman
William Boarman (b. 1654, d. unknown)
Sarah Boarman (1656 - 1685)
George Boarman (1658 - ?)
Mary Boarman (1660 - ?

William Boarman married (second) Mary Matthews. They had one child as follows . . .

Anne Boarman (1675 - ?)

William Boarman married (third) Mary Jarboe. They had the following children . . .

Elizabeth Boarman
Mary Boarman
Clare Boarman
Benedict Boarman
John Baptist Boarman
Francis Ignatius Boarman

All in all, William Boarman had three wives and twelve children. I might add that my Aunt Juanita only had one husband, and thirteen children. 

In 1674, William Boarman, Esq. was granted, "with royal courts, perquisites, profits of courts and other privileges and immunities belonging to manors in England by proprietary patent Lord Baltimore granted the prerogatives of Court Barn and all things belonging thereunto". So, basically, he was granted land, a manor, and a title. The land was known as Boarman's Manor and comprised 3,333 acres. A sign was erected in 1969 by the National Society Descendants of Lords of the Maryland Manors on the location of Boarman's Manor.

William Boarman II married (first) Mary Pile. They had the following children . . .

Sarah Boarman
William Boarman III
Joseph Boarman (1699 - 1730)
Jane Boarman (1701 - ?)
Thomas James Boarman (1703 - 1784)
Mary Boarman (1705 - ?)

Willaim Boarman II married (second) Jane Neale. They had the following children . . .

Jane Boarman
William Boarman
Henrietta Boarman
Ann Boarmen
Sarah Boarman

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF WILLIAM BOARMAN

William Boarman wrote his will on 4/5/1720 and it was probated in Charles County on 5/23/1720.  His will reads as follows (spelling original):
 
I WILLIAM BOARMAN of Charles County in the province of Maryland being in perfect health and memory do constitute and ordain and appoint this my lasf will and testament
 
Imp-- I bequeath my soul to God that made me Hoping to obtain mercy at his hands my body to the earth to be decently buried at the charge of my estate and at the discretion of my Executrix hereafter named.
 
Item I give to my Son WILLIAM BOARMAN all the land lying between the two grate branches which is from the hors Run called down to Mr. Thomas Jameson great Run that his mill stand on with the Swamp line and head line only reserving for my Loving wife Mary Boarman my dwelling plantation I now live on and what land --- shall have occasion for to make her crops and working her servants during life then to return to my son WILLIAM and his heirs for ever
 
Item - I give to my son JOSEPH BOARMAN all that parcel of land lying between my son in law Marsham Warran Lyne and ye Lyne of my son Joshua Guibert with the head Lyne and Swamp Lyne to him and his heirs forever also I Give my son JOSEPH one negro boy named Ignatius one young horse and one mare three cows and three heifers, six ewes and six sows one feather bed and furniture
 
Item To Give my son THOMAS JAMES BOARMAN all that parcel of land beginning at the fork of ye Run & running with ye run to ye out line of ye mannor and with my son in law Marsham Warrans Lyne all within these bonds to him & heirs forever also one negro boy called Chum also one young horse and mare three cows and heifers six ewes & six sows one bed and furniture
 
Item I give to my daughter SARAH BOARMAN one feather bed and furniture & curtains and two pair of sheets one table cloth and six napkins of Huckaback one pewter casson two dishes six plates & two silver spoons one looking Glass of ten shillings price one young negro woman called Pegge and all her increase one horse and one young mare three cows and three heifers six ewes and six sows & twenty pounds sterling money of England to be paid when Received further it is my will that if my daughter SARAH never marries but lives a singall life she shall have the orchard where bettey Prockter lives and sixty ackers of Land joyning to the said orchard for her life but if she should marry then this to be void.
 
Item I give to my Daughter JANE BOARMAN one negro Girl called Henrietta and thirty pounds sterling money of England of the money in Capt. Thomas Tumer's hands one feather bed and furniture three cows and three heifers six ewes and six sows one young horse and one mare also it is my will that in case my daughter never marries but lives singall that then she has sixty ackers of land in her brother JOSEPH's track where she has most mind to have it for her life butt if she marries then this to be void
 
Item I give unto my daughter MARY BOARMAN one negro girt named Beck and forty pounds sterling of England one feather bed and furniture three cows three heifers six ewes and six sows one young horse and one mare Further it is my will if my daughter should live a single life that she shall have sixty acres of land in her brother THOMAS JAMES track where she has most mind to have it for her life but if she marries this to be void
 
Item Lastly it my will that all that parcell of Land that lys between my son in law Josiah Guibert & Joseph great Run be equally divided between my two sons JOSEPH BOARMAN & THOMAS JAMES BOARMAN the uper part with the plantation that now John Glas lives on to be my son JOSEPH BOARMAN and the Lower part next the swamp for my son THOMAS JAMES BOARMAN & their heirs forever
 
Further it my will that my two son be of age at eighteen but in case that either of my sons should dye before they come to age JOSEPH BOARMAN & THOMAS JAMES BOARMAN that then the Survivor shall have all the land but in case they both should dye and without issue lawfully begotten that then my will is their lands may be equally divided between my three daughters SARAH, JANE, and MARY Also I appoint my son WILLIAM BOARMAN to see that all things is performed in full as my will expresses and be assistant to his mother and his brothers and sisters in their affairs, likewise I leave my son WILLIAM my best suit of close
 
Lastly I give all ye residue of my personall estate to my Loving Wife Mary Boatman whom I appoint constitute and ordain to be my whole and sole Executrix of this my Last will and testament, Revoking and making null and void all other wills and testaments In confirmation of the same I have here underneath sett my hand and seall the eight of April one thousand seven hundred & twenty. (He signed his name WILLLAM BOARMAN, SR.) 

Thomas James Boarman married Jane Edelen (daughter of Richard Edelen and Sarah Hagan - the Hagan family plays a major part in my lineage). They had the following children . . .

Joseph Boarman
Mary Boarman (1730 - 1785)
Sarah Boarman
Thomas James Boarman
Edward Boarman
Raphael Boarman

LAST WILL AND TESTATMENT OF THOMAS JAMES BOARMAN

Thomas James Boarman wrote his will on 12/19/1784 and it was probated on 06/15/1785 in Charles County, Maryland.  His will reads as follows:
 
In the name of God Amen, I THOMAS JAMES BOARMAN, SR. of Charles County in the State of Maryland being weak in body, but of sound mind, memory, and understanding, do make this my last Will and Testament, in manner and form as follows Viz
 
First I recommend my Soul to God, hoping to obtain mercy at his hands, my body to the earth to be decently buried at the Charge of my Estate, and discretion of my Executor, hereafter named, and as to my just debts and funeral charges are paid, I devise and bequeath as followeth --
 
Item I give unto my Son THOMAS JAMES BOARMAN, a small parcel of land lying between his dwelling plantation and a line drawn from the second called Tract of GuiberLs, to Wilson's great Run, to him and his heirs forever --
 
I give unto my son JOSEPH BOARMAN, all that tract or parcel of land lying between Marshall Waiing's line and Guibert's line from the Swamp line of Boarman's Manor, to the head line of said manor, to him and his heirs forever --
 
I give unto my son EDWARD BOARMAN, all that tract or parcel of land lying between my son JOSEPH's ditch, Running up his Spring branch to Boon's line, and with Joseph Bowling's line to a locust post, and with this said line to a post standing in Zachiah Swamp and with the said swamp line of Boarman's Mannor, to the beginning to him and his heirs forever --
 
I give unto my son RAPHAEL BOARMAN, all that tract or parcel of land I now live on, after his mother's decease, to him and his heirs forever.  If my son RAPHAEL doesn't chose to live with his Mother it is my Will he should have that part of the land which was called his Brother's (THOMAS) JAMES BOARMAN's land--
 
Item I give unto my grandson JOHN BOON (son of Charles Boone and Mary Boone), a parcell piece left and lying between Francis Wheatley's, and the upper line of Boarman's Mannor, to him and his heirs forever --
 
Item I give unto my son RAPHAEL, my Negro Will, also the four following Negro's Rachel and Child, yellow Charles, and Harry, Clock, Church Stuff, and pewter dish and Six plates, five New England Cheese, one iron pot, one frying pan, and feather bed with furniture --
 
Item I give unto my Daughter SARAH BOARMAN, the three following Negros, Bess, Charity and Henny, six head of sheep, two cows and calves, one pewter dish, six plates, Six New England cheese, one iron pot, one frying pan and feather bed with furniture, one Gold Ring, and one horse and saddle, the horse not to exceed twenty pounds currency --
 
Item I give unto my grandson NICHOLAS BOARMAN, one Negro Boy Matt --
 
Item I give unto my Grandson THOMAS BOARMAN, one Negro Boy Moses--
 
Item I give unto my Granddaughter RACHEL B0ARMAN the two following Negro's, Teresa and Agnes, also one Cow and Calf and one feather bed with furniture --
 
Item I give unto my Grandson HENRY BOON, one Negro Boy Lewis—(Note: Henry Boone was one of the 10 children of Charles and Mary Boone – he was a brother to our ancestor Walter Boone)
 
Item I give unto my Son RAPHAEL, five Cows & Calves, six head of sheep, two sows and piggs, one horse and saddle, the horse not to exceed twenty pounds currency--
 
Item I give unto my Son THOMAS six head of sheep, one feather bed with furniture, and fifty Pounds currency the money to be paid after my Wife's decease --
 
Item I desire that my Son RAPHAEL, should pay unto his Brother the priest JOHN C. BOARMAN, Nine hundred pounds of Crop Tobacco yearly --
 
Item I give unto my wife Jane Boarman, the two following Negro's, Cate and Charity, and after her decease, to fall to my Daughter SARAH--
 
Item I give all the residue of my Real Estate, all rights to Land if any, to be equally devided amongs my four Sons, THOMAS, JOSEPH, EDWARD, and RAPHAEL, to them and their heirs forever--
 
Item I give all the remainder of my personal Estate to my dear wife Jane Boatman during her Natural life and after her decease the Negroes to be equally divided amongst my four Sons, THOMAS, JOSEPH, EDWARD and RAPHAEL, the Residue to be equally divided between all my Children--
 
Item I appoint my son THOMAS and RAPHAEL to be my sole Executors of this my last will and Testament, witness my hand and seal the 19th day of December 1784--(witnessed by HENRY BOARMAN, Francis Queen and John Medley)

The above wills and information obtained from : http://rfox52.tripod.com/William%20Boarman.htm

Mary Boarman married Charles Boone. They had the following children: 

James Boone (1746 - 1840)
Catherine Boone (1748 - 1813)
John Boone (1752 - 1809)
Henrietta Boone (1754 - 1828)
Walter "Watty" Boone (1762 - 1819)
Henry Boone (1762 - 1819)
Charles Boone II (1765 - ?)
Ann Boone (1769 - 1850)
Sarah Boone (1771 - 1840)
Eleanor Boone (1773 - 1807)

Walter "Watty" Boone married (first) Mildred Edelen. They had the following children . . .

Mary Boone
Charles Boone (1786 - 1844)
John Boone (1790 - 1874)
Christopher Boone (1794 - 1872)
Henrietta Boone (1794 - 1847)
Joseph Boone (1802 - 1865)

Walter "Watty" Boone married (second) Elizabeth Hagan-Mattingly, widow of Joseph Mattingly, and daughter of Benjamin Hagan and Monica Blandford - again, the Hagan family plays a major part in my, well, being here. They had one child . . . 

William Henry Boone (1820 - 1860)

William Henry Boone married Rosena Hagan, daughter of Enoch Hagan and Tabitha Hagan (yes, Hagan was her maiden name as well - I told you they played a major role). They had the following children . . . 

Elizabeth Boone (1839 - 1916)
Edward Boone (1840 - )
Thomas Boone (1842 - )
William Boone (1844 - )
Ann Catherine Boone (1845 - )
Charles Henry Boone (1847 - )
John H Boone (1849 - )
Miles Nicholas Boone (1851 - 1932)

Miles Nicholas Boone married (first) Rosa Jane Duvall. They had the following children . . .

William "Bill" Boone (1872 - 1872)
Victor Ivo Boone (1873 - 1954)
Anna Belle Boone (1876 - 1955)
William H. Boone (1878 - 1955)
Milburn B. Boone (1881 - 1881)
Milburn A. Boone (1882 - 1938)

Note: Rosa Jane Duvall-Boone died hours after giving birth to her last child. Miles Nicholas Boone married his step-sister (Rosena Hagan-Boone having married William Peake after her husband's death) Amanda N. Peake a few months after his first wife's death. 

Victor Ivo Boone married Mary Willie Watson. They had the following children . . . 

Rose Louise Boone (1896 - 1984)
Bernadette Boone (1897 - 1899)
Mary Willie Boone (1898 - 1981)
Stella Marie Boone (1899 - 1983)
Joseph Miles Boone (1901 - 1967)
Victor Ivo Boone II (1903 - 1934)
John Cripps Boone (1904 - 1964)
Mary Bernadette Boone (1906 - 1907)
David Cyprian Boone (1908 - 1982)
Mary Elizabeth Boone (1910 - 1991)
Felix Bernard Boone (1912 - 1994)
Mary Jessie Boone (1913 - 1997)
Mary Alberta Boone (1915 - 1998)
Mary Kathleen Boone (1917 - 2006)
Margaret Ellen Boone (1919 - 1919)

Note: I always wondered where the use of middle names versus first names came from, and I'm guessing it started with this generation of the family. I remember my mother referring to her Aunts: Jessie, Alberta, and Kathleen. I guess calling for Aunt Mary would be quite confusing. Ha! Seriously, my mother goes by her middle name, as did most of her siblings, and she called my brother and I by our middle names. I believe it's a Southern thing, but, at least in my family, I can trace back to the generation where it began.

Mary Willie Boone married William Oscar Sweat, son of William Joshua Sweat and Margaret Morris. They had ten children, thirty-six grandchildren, and too many great and great-great grandchildren to count.









No comments:

Post a Comment